October 14, 2013

Infinity Scarf


Materials: Rit Dye in Black, $1.99

Time: 45 minutes


So guess who’s rack I hacked this weekend? Hubby’s! He decided to clean out his closet and I stopped him halfway out of the garage. In his “trash” bag, I found 4 perfectly recyclable T-shirts. Men’s T’s are great for infinity scarves. They are larger than women’s (hubby wears size XL); and amazingly, there are no seams! You can get 2 scarves per shirt, plus leftover material for rags for household use.
 
 
 
There are so many different things you can do with a plain white infinity scarf. I decided to dye it using the folding technique I invented for my jeans (see post here). All I did was fold the scarf back-and-forth, back-and-forth, the whole way through. It took a couple of times to get a width which was even throughout. Once I did that, I rolled the scarf and secured it with an elastic band.
 
 
To dye the scarf, I dissolved the dye in hot water in an old pot, following directions on the box (I have a specific pot which I use only for this purpose). I chose Rit Dye in Black, because I wanted a neutral scarf that would go with anything. I dipped the scarf half-way into the dye and let it absorb the dye halfway up. Then I removed the scarf and let it sit in the sink for a couple of minutes so the dye would really impregnate the fabric. In the meantime, I filled the other half of the sink with cold water, and when I felt that the fabric had been dyed for long enough, I submerged it in the water and removed the elastic. I then washed it 3 or 4 times, and threw it in the washing machine on hot. When I pulled it out, I was surprised by a lavender scarf with graphite-colored stripes! It had turned out better than I had expected!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution!