October 7, 2013

Brown Coat


 
Materials: Sally Hansen nail varnish in “Antique Bronze” view here, Brown thread
Time: 1 hour
I bought this brown coat back in 2010, and recently pulled it out from one of our moving boxes in the attic. It instantly brought me back good memories from that time. It was a bargain I got at a discount retailer, and it unapologetically looked as such: a fleece coat with faux silver plastic buttons. Nevertheless, it was my go-to coat. The thick, soft fleece provided the perfect warmth for a fall morning in Portland without the bulkiness factor that most other coats have. But now it was looking very old and tired; it was covered in pill and the faux buttons were tarnished.
But I was not ready to retire this old friend quite yet… especially since my budget has been really tight this year. So I began reviving it by painting the tarnished plastic buttons with a metallic nail varnish by Sally Hansen in “Antique Bronze”. Metallic nail varnish is always easier to paint with because the strokes blend seamlessly with one another. Two coats and the buttons looked as if they were meant to be that way.
 
Next, I shaved off the pill with a fabric shaver. The fabric, being 100% polyester, without the pill looked exactly as it did on day 1. I could not believe it! This is a huge plus for synthetic fabrics, they last indefinitely.
Last, the pockets needed to be re-stitched. That was a quick fix on the sewing machine. With that, my favorite fall coat was just restored and I have been happily using it ever since!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your contribution!